The development of a sample action plan is a step that promotes the success of a company’s digital transformation process. This tool represents an efficient method for listing all the elements necessary for the realization of a digital project.
The function of digital transformation
Digital transformation opens up new professional perspectives, more efficient than traditional methods. It changes the thinking and decision-making of work groups in all areas of a company, from the production line to customer acquisition. The objectives of implementing a digital action plan include improving operational efficiency and reducing costs.
The digital transformation affects the modification of professional activities, staff members’ skills and organisational resources. This growing concept represents a great professional success that changes the work processes of companies and the responsibilities of work groups. This makes it possible to integrate new efficient and relevant digital tools (real-time data, etc.), IoTetc.).
The realization of an action plan for a digital transformation project
The creation of an action plan model starts with the definition of the problems encountered and the transcription of all the ideas for action in terms of digital optimization. A specific, measurable, ambitious, achievable and time-bound (SMART) overall objective should be defined.
The goal is to improve the digital quality of the various sectors (marketing, sales, purchasing, accounting, human resources, etc.). The next step is to break down the overall objectives into specific objectives in order to specify the areas of improvement to be addressed.
Next, it is necessary to determine the concrete actions to be taken in order to obtain the desired results. Finally, to obtain a clear and precise vision of the action plan, it is recommended to list the objectives, sub-objectives, success criteria and actions to be carried out with a deadline in a single document, in the form of a table.
The 5 advantages of creating a digital action plan for your company
Creating a digital action plan template is an effective method that offers many benefits such as:
- The centralization of operations, which allows for efficient management of action plans. This saves time and makes it easier for employees to do their work without having to stick Post-its on a board or search for isolated items on a colleague’s PC. This standardization of data provides a real-time view and monitoring of the operations carried out by all the work teams of a company.
- Increasing the efficiency of the work of the managers of the different departments by quickly visualizing the evolution of the projects and the requests of the collaborators, which facilitates the validation or the rejection of the proposals.
- The saving of resources that optimizes the time available to manage the unexpected and focus on priority tasks.
- The ability to anticipate risks and obstacles to smooth operations. In the event of a problem, it is possible to react quickly and purposefully.
Easy access to information by all employees contributes to increased motivation of staff members, which improves performance and makes work more efficient.
A tool to manage your action plans?
Pitfalls to avoid when setting up an action plan template
Here are some recommendations for developing a sample action plan:
- Get to the point by giving accurate information, without adding unnecessary detail.
- If a task is delegated, give as much information as possible to the person concerned so that he or she can carry it out in the best possible conditions.
- Create an action plan before defining a specific goal.
The essential actions to make a successful digital transition
The development of an action plan model The development of an action plan for an SME is carried out in stages and in order of priority, in accordance with the company’s operations and resources. Here is a model of a phased action plan, which contains important elements to optimize the results of digital change for all stakeholders and partners of the company.
- The realization of an audit of the digital organization of the company: it is a question of scrupulously analyzing the strong points and the weak points of the commercial activity compared to the competition, the quality of the transactions with the customers, the operation of the current organizational model and the inventory of the operations in progress.
- Exploring the involvement of professional team members: the responsibilities of managers and heads of sectors include raising awareness, motivating and training all the company’s employees in the new digitalization methods. A change management process must be put in place taking into account the functions, impacts and obstacles of all the members of the group. An active collaboration (reflections, exchanges, decision making) contributes to the success of the digital transformation action plan.
- The study of the company’s needs, such as the tasks to be automated, the communication tools to be favoured, the choice of data security methods: sometimes, the use of a specialised professional is highly recommended.
- Evaluating results by anticipating, analysing and interpreting data, exploring avenues for improvement and setting priorities on different axes (potential customers, turnover, costs, brand positioning, etc.).